Save an average of 30% on your car insurance in just three minutes.
Our brokers will find you the best car insurance in Guelph by comparing quotes from the top 10+ companies in Canada.
We compare rates from Canada's top providers, including:
Auto insurance in Guelph.
Looking for a break on your auto insurance? Shopping around for the best coverage at the lowest cost is easy and effective with DirectRate.ca.
Many drivers overlook or don’t know about some of the best ways to save on car insurance.
But, there’s no need to worry about that. We have the experience and the expertise so you don’t miss out on any savings. That means you’ll get the lowest car insurance rates for drivers in Guelph.
Let one of our licensed brokers help you customize a policy, find additional savings and help you secure cheap car insurance in Guelph.
Start with a free, no-obligation quote online and then connect with one of our licensed broker: 1-855-754-0350.
How does it work?
Why use DirectRate.ca?
At DirectRate.ca, we help Canadians everyday significantly reduce their insurance costs.
Our online quote tool is fast and free and our licensed brokers will customize your policy so that you get the best car insurance coverage at the lowest rate.
Get a free quote today.
It’s fast, free, and help is just a call away.
What you need to know about car insurance in Guelph.
The law that all Ontario residents must have car insurance seems simple enough.
Where it gets a bit more complicated is that there are many different types of coverage. Some of it is mandatory and some of it is optional.
Knowing what coverage you need is what trips up many drivers. Some don’t buy enough protection, which could be a costly mistake if something bad happens. Others pay more than they need to because they buy coverage they could easily do without. And, a lot of drivers pay more than they should because they don't comparison shop nor do they know about all the discounts they’re eligible for.
To get the best vehicle insurance for drivers in Guelph, start with a better understanding of the options, decide what coverage you need and what you can do without.
There’s insurance that the Province of Ontario insists all drivers must have. Unlike some other jurisdictions, this province requires four types of coverage:
- Accident benefits: If you’re injured in a collision or rollover, this will cover your medical bills. And if your injuries mean you can’t work, it will cover income replacement.
- Direct compensation-property damage coverage (DCPD): If your vehicle, or its contents, are damaged in a collision where you are not at fault, this covers the bills.
- Third-party liability: If you’re driving a car that injures or kills someone else, this will protect you if you get sued. It also covers damage to property. All Ontario must have at least $200,000 in third-party liability coverage. But, that minimum doesn’t give you much protection. Most drivers buy $1 million or $2 million worth of third-party liability coverage.
- Uninsured automobile coverage: If an uninsured motorist or a hit-and-run driver injures or kills you, you’ll still be covered.
But, what if you’re in a collision where you’re at fault or partially at fault? What if someone steals or vandalizes your car? What if a tree falls on it? Actually, a lot of bad things can happen to your vehicle that the mandatory insurance doesn’t cover. That’s why most drivers want at least some optional coverage.
Guelph drivers buying auto insurance can get additional protection with:
- All perils: For damage to your car caused by a crash or by theft, extreme weather and other misfortune. Combines collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Collision: For damage from a collision with another vehicle or object. Also covers rollovers.
- Comprehensive: For damage to your car caused by something other than a collision. Examples include vandalism, theft, extreme weather, fire and falling or flying objects.
- Loss of use: For paying the cost of renting an equivalent vehicle while your car is under repair following a collision.
- Replacement cost: For getting the full value of your car if someone steals it or it is damaged beyond repair.
- Specified perils: For damage caused by a set number of misfortunes including lightning or hail storms, rising water, earthquakes, fire, theft and riots.
With so many options to choose from, the sensible move is to let DirectRate.ca help you figure out what you need and what you can skip.
While the options you choose are likely to add to your premiums, our experienced brokers know all about car insurance discounts for Guelph drivers.
There are some easy wins such as bundling your policies, parking privately, enrolling in a telematics program and installing winter tires.
Beyond that, you can save by customizing your policy and applying some tried, tested and true savings tactics which a licensed broker will advise you on.
At DirectRate.ca, we’re confident we’ll help you secure the best car insurance at the lowest rates in Guelph.
Start with a free, no-obligation quote, then work one-on-one with a licensed broker: 1-855-754-0350.
Frequently Asked Questions about car insurance in Guelph, Ontario.
- Driving a car in Canada without auto insurance is illegal. Failure to have valid insurance while behind the wheel will mean a hefty fine.
In Ontario, all drivers must have the following coverage:
- Accident benefits
- Direct compensation-property damage coverage (DCPD)
- Third-party liability
- Uninsured automobile coverage
- If you drive without this mandatory insurance you risk a fine of as much as $50,000, a licence suspension and having your car impounded.
- In addition, driving without insurance leaves you unprotected from liability if you injure or kill someone else or damage property. That means driving without insurance could leave you in financial ruins.
- If you’re convicted for driving without insurance, you will also have a much harder time finding vehicle insurance in the future, and even if you can find it, it will be a lot more expensive.
- That’s something you will need to decide. But DirectRate.ca’s expert brokers can help figure out which options make sense for you and which don’t.
- Most drivers want some protection for their vehicle, so collision and comprehensive coverage are popular.
Here are the most common options:
- All perils: For damage to your car caused by a crash, theft, extreme weather and other misfortune. (This is a combination of collision and comprehensive coverage.)
- Collision: For damage to your car from collisions with other vehicles or objects. Also covers rollovers.
- Comprehensive: For damage from something other than a collision. That includes vandalism, theft, extreme weather, fire and falling or flying objects.
- Loss of use: For covering the cost of renting an equivalent vehicle while your car is in the shop being repaired.
- Replacement cost: Ensures you’re reimbursed the full value of your car if it has been stolen or so damaged that it can’t be repaired.
- Specified perils: For damage from a set number of perils. These include lightning or hail storms, rising water, earthquakes, fire, theft and riots.
- The best way to get the lowest rates on these options is comparison shop and to work with a licensed broker at DirectRate.ca. Our tools and recommendations are 100% free.
- Start by getting a no-obligation car insurance quote for Guelph drivers. Then, connect on a call with one of our licensed brokers: 1-855-754-0350.
- Ontario has a no-fault auto insurance system.
- No-fault insurance is designed to simplify the process of making accident claims. It also helps drivers get paid more quickly following a collision.
- No-fault insurance doesn’t mean no one is at fault in a collision. It just means that if you’re involved in a crash, you’ll work with your own insurance company no matter who was at fault.
- As you’d expect, the more coverage you buy, the more you’ll pay. But, a lot more goes into the cost of auto insurance than that.
Insurance companies look at many factors when determining what to charge you, including:
- How many years you’ve been driving
- How old you are
- The amount you drive
- The make and model of your car
- The number of drivers in your household
- Where you live. Rates do vary by city, but also by neighbourhood. If drivers near where you live make more claims than in other parts of your city, your premiums will be higher.
- Your claims history
- Your gender
- Your driving record
- Your marital status
- So a lot goes into determining your premiums and that often means big cost differences between companies.
- DirectRate.ca makes comparison shopping easy so you’ll be sure to get cheap car insurance in Guelph.
- Start with a free, no-obligation quote online and then connect with a broker: 1-855-754-0350.
- Yes, unfortunately, it usually is.
- New drivers, including young people and recent immigrants, generally pay more for car insurance. That’s because insurance companies consider them a greater risk than experienced drivers.
- But if you maintain a good driving record, your higher rates won’t last long.
- In the meantime, you’ll want to get the best possible rate with the help of DirectRate.ca’s free, online quote tool and access to licensed brokers.
- Yes, there are actually several steps you can take to reduce your premiums.
Here are some suggestions:
- Bundle – Most insurance companies offer discounts for customers with other policies, such as home insurance, with them.
- Buy only the coverage you really need – For example, loss of use insurance may not be necessary for you if you have another way to get around while your car is in the shop.
- Buy winter tires – Winter tires aren’t just for snow. They also make driving safer in cold weather. That translates into lower rates on your car insurance in Guelph. In Ontario, insurance companies must offer a 3-5% discount for drivers with winter tires.
- Drive safely and maintain a clean driving record – Collisions as well as infractions such as speeding lead to higher premiums.
- Enrol in a telematics program – When your insurance company tracks the way you drive, it knows how much of a risk you are to insure. The lower the risk the lower the rates.
- Install and use a car alarm
- Since the make and model of your car affect your premiums, choose your next car carefully. By looking for higher safety ratings and lower theft ratings you can save money on your insurance.
- Opt for a higher deductible – The deductible is the amount you’ll pay if you make a claim. If your deductible is $500 and you do $3,000 worth of damage to your car, then you’ll pay $500 and your insurer will pay $2,500. A higher deductible means lower premiums, though it also means you’ll be paying more if you do make a claim.
- Park your car in a garage – Instead of on the street.
- Pay up front – Instead of monthly
- Pay your premiums on time
- Take a defensive driving course
- Work with DirectRate.ca to get the best car insurance for drivers in Guelph.
- Start by getting free car insurance quotes for Guelph drivers. Then call a licensed broker at 1-855-754-0350.
- Purchasing your car insurance online is safe, convenient and increasingly popular. Many drivers in Guelph find cheap car insurance online.
- DirectRate.ca has helped thousands of Canadians save millions of dollars on their insurance costs.
- We’ll make sure you have the coverage you need, nothing more. And, that you get the lowest available rate.
- Become another happy customer today by working with one of our licensed brokers.
- Start by using our free, online quote tool to get rates from the 10+ leading Canadian car insurance companies for Guelph drivers.
- Then, talk to one of our licensed brokers because you might qualify for more savings.
- We’ll review your application and let you know about any additional discounts.
- For example, most drivers can save hundreds of dollars with four easy-to-access discounts: bundling insurance policies, enrolling in a telematics program, installing winter tires, and parking their car in a garage instead of on the street.
- And you may be eligible for even more discounts on automobile insurance in Guelph.
- Our tool and recommendations are free, give us a call: 1-855-754-0350.