Save an average of 30% on car insurance in just three minutes.
Our brokers will help you secure the best car insurance in St.Catharines by comparing quotes from the leading companies in Canada.
We compare rates from Canada's top providers, including:
Car insurance in St. Catharines, Ontario.
Paying more than you’d like for car insurance in St. Catharines?
DirectRate.ca can help you find the best coverage at the lowest price.
St. Catharines is a growing city in the famous Niagara region of southern Ontario. It is also famous for the Welland Canal, an engineering marvel that allows huge ships to traverse the Niagara Escarpment by water. St. Catharines’ nickname, “The Garden City,” refers to its lovely network of trails and green spaces.
When residents of St. Catharines aren’t enjoying the city's many attractions, there’s a good chance they’re hitting the roads, commuting to work or to school in private vehicles. This makes reliable and affordable auto insurance coverage a necessity.
Throughout Ontario, auto insurance can be expensive. It’s one of the priciest markets in Canada. Comparison shopping is crucial if you’re looking to save money on your policy.
DirectRate.ca makes doing so simple and efficient. We don’t try to sell you on one company’s products. Instead, we work with the top insurance providers in Canada and help you compare their rates and policies.
The bottom line is, whatever your driving habits, vehicle and coverage needs, we’ll help you find the lowest car insurance rates in St. Catharines.
Our online quote tool and personalized advice are 100% free. Give us a call today: 1-855-754-0350.
How does it work?
Why use DirectRate.ca?
We've helped thousands of Canadians find better rates on auto insurance.
No need to make numerous phone calls or search every company online to find the cheapest policy. We help you comparison shop with multiple insurers in one place, saving you time and money.
A real, live, licensed insurance broker will be happy to speak with you by phone to customize your policy and answer any questions you have.
Get a free quote today.
It’s fast, free, and help is just a call away.
What you’ll need to get online car insurance quotes with DirectRate.ca.
Getting car insurance quotes using our online tool is fast and easy. You’ll just need to have a few key items at hand. These include:
- A valid driver’s licence.
- A few details about your driving experience and record.
- A phone to speak with one of our expert insurance brokers.
- Basic information about the vehicle you want to insure.
You’re never obligated to buy anything when you use our service.
We’re so sure we can help you find a better deal on vehicle insurance in St. Catharines that we provide all our assistance completely free of charge.
Get a quote and then give us a call: 1-855-754-0350.
Required vs. optional car insurance in St. Catharines.
Car insurance is required by law for all drivers in Canada. The provinces all set slightly different requirements.
St. Catharines drivers are subject to Ontario insurance minimums. These are the lowest levels of coverage and the basic coverage types needed to drive legally in the province.
Here’s the insurance coverage every Ontario driver must have:
|Direct compensation - property damage (DCPD).||
|ManThird party liability.||
Examples of optional coverage.
Many drivers opt to add additional coverage for their own financial protection. These may include higher levels of coverage for the types listed above. Drivers can also choose to add optional coverage types to their policies, depending on what’s offered by different insurers and what they prefer.
It’s highly recommended that drivers buy additional third-party liability insurance above the $200,000 minimum required in Ontario, for instance. That’s because if you severely injure another person in an auto accident, legal damages can easily shoot far above that amount. If you only have $200,000 in coverage, you’re responsible for paying anything more out-of-pocket. Many drivers opt for $500,000, $1 million or even $2 million in coverage to avoid this financial risk.
Typically, it’s recommended that drivers of newer or more valuable vehicles carry comprehensive and collision insurance. Comprehensive insurance covers damage from a wider range of causes (things like fires, theft, hail storms and falling trees). Collision coverage pays to repair or replace your car if it’s damaged in a collision (either with another vehicle or with another object like a building or telephone pole).
Since new cars and luxury vehicles are higher-value, replacing them can be extremely costly. These optional insurance options are a good way to protect your vehicle. For older autos, some drivers feel comfortable dropping these types of coverage to save money on insurance premiums (it’s usually recommended to consider this once your vehicle is at least five years old).
Another type of optional car insurance includes new car replacement coverage. If you bought your car new and it’s destroyed in an accident, this type of insurance will allow you to replace your vehicle with a brand new one. Usually this applies just during the first few years of your ownership.
This type of coverage is not part of the statutory insurance required by law. It’s an insurance product that some vehicle owners might choose based on their own preferences.
What’s the advantage of working with an insurance brokerage?
Maybe you’ve bought your auto insurance through an insurance company in the past. You might wonder whether there’s any benefit to working with a broker, or what the difference is.
DirectRate.ca offers choice, convenience and one-on-one service.
We work with the best insurance providers in Canada, so we can help you compare policy details and prices across the market. When you contact an individual insurance company, they can only tell you about the products they offer. They won’t tell you if you could get a cheaper rate with a competitor.
That leaves you to call around or search online to try to understand the differences between insurance providers’ policies and to find the lowest rate.
If that sounds undesirable, our licensed insurance brokers can help. They draw on extensive industry experience to find you the cheap car insurance in St. Catharines.
They’ll customize your policy so you only pay for the coverage you need. They’ll work with you one-on-one to ensure all your insurance questions are answered and you understand how your policy works.
We’re confident our insurance experts can find you bigger discounts than you’ll get anywhere else. That’s why we can offer our services 100% free.
Ready to save? Give us a call today: 1-855-754-0350.
Frequently Asked Questions about automobile insurance in St. Catharines.
- The short answer is yes. If you are a young or inexperienced driver, insurance companies consider you a higher risk to insure than a driver with years of experience on the roads.
- Getting your full license as soon as you can is one way to save money on your auto insurance costs.
- Beyond that, simply being patient and driving responsibly will help. The cleaner and longer your history as a driver — the fewer accidents and infractions on your record and the longer you’ve been licensed and insured — the lower premiums you’ll be offered with time.
- Another way to save on your car insurance costs is to be added as a secondary driver on someone else’s policy such as a parent. While this will increase their insurance costs, it will provide you with the opportunity to develop your profile with insurance companies.
- In general, this is true – particularly among younger drivers. However, there are important exceptions.
- More important than the driver’s gender is their driving and insurance history. A responsible male driver with no accidents or claims on his record could pay lower car insurance premiums than a female driver of the same age and experience who has an extensive claims history.
- However, all other things being equal, female drivers often enjoy lower auto insurance premiums than male drivers. This is because statistically, men are more likely to be involved in auto insurance claims than women. Accordingly, insurers factor this into their rates.
- Age can also be a factor in insurance costs. Young drivers are more likely to get into accidents than older drivers. Insurance companies typically offer older drivers (30+) lower premiums.
- There are many great car insurance options for St. Catharines drivers. But it’s not possible to name a single company or plan that is the best for every driver.
- Car insurance is a customized product. Both insurance companies and drivers need to make sure there’s a good match between the customer and their insurance policy.
- A driver with a history of accidents and a luxury SUV may have very different insurance needs than a budget-minded student with a compact car and a clean record. There may be a “best policy” for each of these drivers, but they’re not going to be the same.
- To find the best car insurance for your needs, there’s no way around it. You have to compare quotes and insurance products from multiple providers.
- When you request a quote, you provide the details the insurance company needs to give you a realistic estimate on your car insurance costs.
- Working with DirectRate.ca is a quick, convenient way to comparison shop. We work with many insurers, so we can help you sort through the mountain of options to find your best car insurance on the market.
- Use our online tool to compare no-obligation quotes today from the 10+ best insurance providers in Canada. Next, connect with a licensed broker by phone: 1-855-754-0350.
- The only way to be sure you’re getting the cheapest St. Catharines auto insurance is to compare quotes from different companies and then customizing your policy with the help of a licensed broker.
In addition to offering discounts, a broker is likely to advise you on saving tactics. In addition to having winter tires, enrolling in a telematics program and bundling your policies so that each is held by the same company, you can keep your auto insurance costs down, if you:
- Consider driving less. The less you drive your car, the lower the risk to you and your insurer that you’ll get into accidents or file claims. Insurance providers tend to favour drivers with lower mileage totals each year and those who don’t use their car for work purposes. If your commute is short or, even better, if you take public transit, walk or bike to work regularly, tell your insurance company. This may earn you a reduced rate.
- Have a private parking spot. Parking on the street can leave your vehicle more vulnerable to incidents that cause damage, like falling objects, severe weather, vandalism and theft. Insurance companies often lower premiums for drivers with private, protected parking locations.
- Install an anti-theft device. Some insurers offer discounts for features like car alarms and steering wheel locks. Usually there’s an approved list of equipment, so be sure to ask for specific requirements before investing in new gear for an insurance discount.
- Safeguard your driving record. Drive safely and you’ll have fewer accidents and insurance claims. This is the most surefire way to keep your car insurance premiums as low as possible.
- Take a defensive driving course. Many insurance providers offer discounts for successfully completing a course. Even better, deepening your driving knowledge can help you be a better driver and protect you and others on the roads. Ask your insurance company whether they offer this discount and if they have a list of qualifying classes.
- Use winter tires. Many insurance companies offer discounts for changing your tires to match the season, since this can help prevent accidents and claims. Call your insurer to ask for details.